I have a deep love of coffee.
I also have children who are extremely light sleepers in the morning.
Getting up early specifically for extra work/quiet time and then having them wake up to my making coffee defeats the purpose. So does skipping the coffee in favor of silence.
- Pre-grind the coffee* the night before (Yes, I am giving up some quality here. It’s worth it. And if you’re less of a snob than I am, this isn’t an issue).
- Use an AeroPress for silent coffee creation.
- Drink and enjoy pure coffee bliss.
*We love Stumptown Coffee, even if they did sell out to Peet’s and are no longer hipster-cool here in Portland.
I’d read a few reviews of the AeroPress over the years, and was admittedly skeptical. When my french press bit the dust (i.e. cracked and shattered), and I was tired of drinking poor quality instant coffee, I made the leap. I only wish I had done it sooner.
As one of my friends said,
This is the best coffee I’ve ever had at home.”
Yes, yes it absolutely is.
Alternatives if you’re less of a coffee snob than I am:
- Use a traditional drip brewer with an automatic timer. (Does make anyone else think of ‘90s Folgers commercials?)
- Use a french press.
- Use a Chemex or other pour over method.